From Observing to Exposing: Creating Great Habits in Children


As a new mother, I was overwhelmed with the responsibility of taking care of my newborn. I had read numerous parenting books during my pregnancy, but nothing really prepared me for the challenges that came along with parenthood. Sleepless nights, feeding schedules, diaper changes, and constant worry about my child's well-being were all-consuming. However, one thing that kept me sane and guided me during this phase was my love for reading.


As I was juggling between taking care of my newborn and household chores, I would steal moments to read parenting blogs and articles on my mobile. These small pockets of time not only helped me gain knowledge about parenting but also gave me a sense of calmness and fulfillment. My baby would sleep in my lap while I would read on my phone, and this soon became a cherished ritual.


As my son started growing up, I introduced him to the world of music, stories, and rhymes. This not only provided him with entertainment but also gave me some much-needed free time. I realized that listening to rhymes and stories had helped him develop excellent listening skills, and he would often create his own stories and rhymes.


Taking inspiration from his love for storytelling, I slowly introduced him to the world of books. We would read together, and I made sure to expose him to a variety of genres and authors. Gradually, reading became a habit for both of us, and we would spend hours lost in the magical world of books.




I also introduced him to podcasts, and he loved listening to them. From storytelling podcasts to informative ones, he would listen intently, and I could see how it helped him develop his imagination and knowledge.


Parenting is not easy, and there is no set of rules that can guarantee success. But, by observing and exposing our children to different environments, we can help them develop good habits and skills. My love for reading helped me not only educate myself but also inculcate a love for books in my son. And, I hope that this habit will stay with him throughout his life.

#KidsWhoRead #ReadEveryday #RaiseAReader

Comments